Thursday 26 February 2015

How valueless is the life of a woman?

In a relatively short space of time the NGO I work for has pretty much become a CBO. We are in a township/informal settlement 3 days a week. When I started working at LvA people would ask me if it wasn't depressing working everyday with women who are beaten and raped. And I would reply no. Working with the women is not depressing, what was depressing was the justice system. The domestic violence and sexual offenses acts are really progressive. The stuff liberal governments are made of. The implementation of these laws, however, is about as backwards and archaic as you can get. As the organisation has grown (seeing more and more clients) and as I have grown as a feminist I am realising that the backwards and archaic that I am talking about is really what the modern is made out of. Queue the music that is suitable for a depressed soul.

My tune for the “is working with women who are beaten and raped depressing” question has changed. I am not only depressed with the justice system, I am now depressed with society at large. The story I hear from every client, day in and day out, is pretty much the same. They are literally being terrorized, every single day of their lives, by men who think they own them. Men who think women are possessions. THEIR possessions. To be beaten and raped as and when they please, because after all, who is she if she is not owned by a man?

You know I was so excited when I found feminism, and I still am. But I am so depressed at how much of a luxury it seems to be. This is becoming more and more apparent to me. I have heard critics of feminism say that it seems to exist mostly in theory and in academic journals. I am not sure I quite agree with that sentiment but I do see how it only survives and thrives in the select few. The fortunate individuals. Individuals who are learned and fortunate enough to have enough education that they can engage in critical thinking. Because even that, something as basic as critical thinking, is a luxury. But the fact of the matter is that critical thinking is not basic. It is an added extra that most people, most women can’t afford. I think becoming a feminist is dangerous for all women. But it is most dangerous for women who are black and poor. Women who live among men who are black and poor. Men who feel the only sense of power they have is over women, defenseless women. Being a feminist is most dangerous for these women, the women who need it the most.


No comments:

Post a Comment